I wrote about the great job that the Oak Creek – Franklin School District was doing on towing the line on taxes for both Oak Creek and Franklin residents in their school district a few months ago in a posting “Congratulations to The Oak Creek – Franklin School Board”
I have included information that I have recently received on the February 15th Spring Primary which includes the Oak Creek Franklin School District. Residents in the 3rd, 4th and 5th districts in Franklin have the opportunity to select who will be the two final candidates for the spot that Sheryl now holds besides voting for County Executive primary candidates. The board candidates are Sheryl Cerniglia from Franklin, who is the incumbent , Mark Verhalen and Mary Becker are the other two other challenging candidates. Mark is from Oak Creek, was an alderman for a short time and also has run for Mayor several times. Mary Becker, according to the FranklinNOW is a teacher in Racine.
This is the message that Sheryl is getting out in this February Primary:
Hello voters in the Oak Creek-Franklin Joint School District. I am again running for a position on your local school board. I am an active member, not just in the schools but in the community as well. I was elected to the board in 2002 and have diligently served the taxpayers, students and employees of the district. I have worked with my fellow board members to balance quality education and staff while trying to minimize the tax impact.
In 2002 I ran on the premise..”A voice for everyone”…I still believe that today. I listen to both sides of the issues. I am a person who asks “why” and “why not”. I try to keep the public informed of issues facing the district. I encourage the public to attend meetings. If the issue is important to you, its important to me. While we may not always agree, I will guarantee you that I will listen with an open mind. I am proud of what this district has accomplished with the minimal resources available, but I will strive to continue to expect improvements while watching the budget.
I am a firm believer in every vote counts. This may be a small race in the primary but I believe voting is a privilege which should be exercised. So circle the date on the calendar and I hope I have earned your voting privilege on TUESDAY, FEB 15.
Candidate for Oak Creek-Franklin School Board
On October 25th, 2010 the Oak Creek – Franklin School Board approved a budget with a -.083 DECREASE in tax levey. The board was able to reduce the spending of $32,381,171 in the 2009/10 budget down almost $270 thousand dollars to $32,111,332 for the 2010/11 budget.
Five of the seven, Franklin School District board members, who voted in favor of our increase headed up by Business Services Director Jim Milzer might want to visit with their counterparts in Oak Creek and see how they did it as The Franklin School District taxpayer faces a 2.95% INCREASE.
Congratulations go out to Cathy Cramer, the OC-F Business Director and Oak Creek Board Members Jim Gilmeister, Sheryl Cerniglia, Kathleen Borchardt, Paul Mason, Frank Carini!
Oak Creek Board Members: (left to right) Jim Gilmeister, Sheryl Cerniglia, Kathleen Borchardt, Paul Mason, Frank Carini
Great news for those of you that read Wag The Dog.
I have just renewed and prepaid for my website for the next 3 years (you get a better deal that way). That will bring us through the April elections in 2011 and the April elections in 2013.
Thanks to all of you that read my posts when I get around to publishing them. I have a few ideas in mind for the next few months.
- More Video – I have purchased Video editing software and I am in the process of putting together the video’s I have in my collection from the April 2008 Mayoral forum. Stay tuned to see how many of the issues that were addressed by the candidates actually came true. As you review them, you may want to start formulating some of your own questions for the candidates for Mayor in the 2011 election.
- More Positive Postings – I have been told that I publish one too many negative issues here in Franklin. I plan posting blogs about some of the great business that I have found here in Franklin. It is time someone started mentioning the great places we have here in Franklin.
- More Postings about the Franklin Public Schools – I recently have not covered issues about the Franklin Public Schools as much as I have the City Council and look to change that in the upcoming months. Considering that fact that our School System is the major contributor to our tax bills and 80% of our School Board believes we need to start spending more rather than cutting back during tough economic times.
- Postings about Oak Creek – As the city of Oak Creek becomes more entangled with Franklin due to our 27th street border and development there I hope to investigate more. I also plan to look deeper into the Oak Creek – Franklin School District. I had the opportunity to be in contact with one of the board members Sheryl Cerniglia who lives in the 5th district and she had some very interesting things to say. Too many of us forget there is a major portion of our city that attends the OC-Franklin school district and most other bloggers seem only to have anti-OC/Franklin school district things to say.
- More Postings about Franklin’s 5th District – Having been a candidate for alderman in this district, I have witnessed a recent lack of leadership we came to appreciate from Alderman Sohns. With a half of a year honeymoon, I plan on letting you know more about Alderman Schmidt and what he has been up to (is he looking to spend your TIFF dollar tax relief?) or more precisely what he has not been up to.
Stay tuned to WAG THE DOG and WAG THE DOG VIDEO for the next three years.